She is so excited! This will be her first year- long class. She is so excited!:) And terrified! I know how she feels. I still get that feeling. Not nearly as excited and terrified as she is, but every year is a new year, with a new adventure awaiting us. It's a lot easier when you have a year or two under your belt. It's a lot easier when you've had your "very own class" one or more times.
She asked a lot of good questions. I am going to go in one day to unpack my room, she'll be there, so that we can talk and plan. She wants to make sure she has the basics to get started.
What can we do to help the new teacher?
- remember that we had to start somewhere. Don't judge.
- don't bring negativity and/or gossip to their classroom,Teacher's Lounge, or Happy Hour.
- help in any, and all ways, that you can
- share websites, lessons, routines, etc...
- make yourself available
- introduce them to Twitter #ntchat
- plan collaboratively
- give helpful advice
- help them de-stress (especially since this profession can be overwhelming at times)
- allow them the chance to learn, don't force ideas on them
I would love for new teachers to tell me how we can help! I would love to hear ideas from others how we can help.